Thursday 22 November 2012

The Commercialization of Christmas

Rob heard on the radio a couple of weeks ago that Shoppers Drug Mart customers were treated to Christmas music on the day after Halloween.  Some of them lodged complaints and the music was stopped (at least for the time being).

I shopped for groceries last week and saw gift cards at the cashier marked "Happy Holidays".  I nicely asked the cashier:  "Do you think it would make a difference if I wrote a letter to No Frills stating that I won't buy products that say Happy Holidays?"  She responded by saying that someone had told her that if Walmart employees said the dreaded words "Merry Christmas" to their customers they could be fired.

What is this world coming to?  Businesses can't wait to start advertising for Christmas.  They can't wait to start decorating for Christmas.  They can't wait to capitalize on Christmas. And yet they refuse to call it Christmas!  We live in a society that was founded on Judeo-Christian values, and yet people want to conveniently forget that fact.  They want to take the meaning out of Christmas.

I feel like renting a blimp with the words MERRY CHRISTMAS emblazoned on the side floating over the city of Brantford.  It's pretty sad that in a day and age when it's become more and more acceptable to swear, we can't say the word Christmas.  Who is offended by Christmas?  Is it the Muslims?  I beg to differ.  I have taught Muslim students; I have done Christmas crafts with Muslim students.  I have even explained to them the meaning of Christmas.  And yet their parents have not complained.  It's the politically correct police who are offended by it.


One of the only ways that I can protest is to vote with my feet.  A couple of years ago, Rob and I ate at a Tim Horton's in Hamilton that actually had the words "Merry Christmas" stenciled on the window.  I made a point of filling out a customer comment card commending them on their sign.  I should take the time to do that more often.  I will seek out the word CHRISTMAS and keep a list of businesses that use the "taboo" word.  Christians need to take back the celebration of Christ's birth.  It's too precious to be reduced to a "holiday".





Cartoon courtesy pdblogs.files.wordpress.com. 










No comments:

Post a Comment