Saturday 21 July 2012

Pitching a Perfect Query

Today I typed my query letter to an editor pitching my picture book idea.  I'm Just a Home Child is the name of my book.  It is a 1900 word picture book for ages 6 to 9.  People seem to be interested in the Home Children.  I have read and/or seen several adult books or children's chapter books about them ex. Little Immigrants (Kenneth Bagnall), Orphan at my Door (Jean Little).  However, I have yet to see a picture book about the Home Children.  I am trying to fill that gap.

I tried to compose the perfect query letter:  concise and yet giving enough details to entice the reader.  I pray that the editor notices the British Home Child stamp that I used to post the letter.  I pray that it sparks the editor's interest rather than just becoming another piece of paper to be recycled. I pray that she requests a copy of my actual manuscript, which I have diligently been editing over the past several months.  I pray that she sees potential in my work.  I pray that she says "YES!" 

I pray that I'm Just a Home Child doesn't end up in the slush pile, but on the bookshelf of a bookstore or a library or a school.  I'll keep you up to date.





Cartoon courtesy http://farm1.staticflickr.com.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment