Wednesday 11 July 2012

Happy 20th Anniversary, Rob!

It was 20 years ago today that I sat in my sister's Stoney Creek bungalow putting on my white satin wedding dress.  It was 20 years ago today that I climbed into a long white limousine with five other girls and a little girl wearing a miniature version of my dress, a bouquet of flowers in her hands.  It was 20 years ago today that we pulled up at Olivet United Church and climbed out of that limou one at a time as Mr. Lopez took our photo.  It was 20 years ago today that Rob waited anxiously for me at the altar while my wedding party assembled in the parlour.  It was 20 years ago today that my bridesmaids and I walked down the isle one by one (although our 3 year old flower girl, Amanda, ran).  It was 20 years ago today that Rob and I recited our vows, which we had memorized:  "I, Linda, take you Robert to be my husband, to have and hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, in sickness and in health, in joy and in sorrow, to love and to cherish, and to be faithful to you alone, as long as we both shall live." (I still remember them.) 

The funny thing is that I didn't get nervous about reciting my vows, but I did get nervous when I had to take my elbow length gloves off so Rob could put the ring on my finger!  Rob got nervous when he mistakenly blew out the candle we had just lit; he managed to get it relit, though.  Tears welled up in our eyes when my bridesmaid Michelle sang the Bette Midler song "Give Me the Gift of Love".  Memories of our courting year in Windsor came flooding back to us. 

"I now present to you Mr. and Mrs. Robert Jonasson" announced the minister.  We floated down the aisle; it felt so right.  In the archway of Olivet, Mr. Lopez snapped our photo.  We hopped into the limousine and he took another shot of us poking our heads out of the sunroof. 

Our chauffeur drove us across the Hamilton Mountain to Dundas, cars honking behind us as we went.  Up the escarpment we went and at about the three quarter way mark we pulled into a long lane with the sign "Dundas Golf & Curling Club".  We posed for pictures on the golf course, the wind slightly blowing our hair (although I had a whole can of hairspray on mine), the sun beaming down on us.  Little Amanda chased a golf ball around the green.  Mr. Lopez shouted "LEENDA" over and over again trying to get my attention.  After what seemed like the 1000th photo, we were dismissed.  Freedom! 

My sister in law Ingrid took Amanda for some much needed refreshments:  they "butted" everyone in line and got a large glass of orange juice which my niece downed in one gulp.  We stood in a receiving line and greeted our guests.

Then we sat down at the head table, with a wall of windows in the background, the greens visible through the windows.  We dined on salad, soup, chicken cordon bleu, potatoes, vegetables and chocolate mousse for dessert.  We listened to some heartfelt speeches.  We cut the three-tiered chocolate and vanilla cake with the Precious Moments bride and groom on top, although we didn't get a chance to eat any of it (thankfully the top layer was left over and we froze it until our one month anniversary when we indulged). 

And then we danced the night away!  Even my Dad, who only likes jazz music, waltzed around the room to the strains of Journey's "Faithfully".  Later, I think he was caught in a train.  Much later, Rob's best man, Bill Arnold, danced with me a la Dancing with the Stars (just without the star).  He was ahead of his time. 

The two families, the Tufts and the Jonasson's, mixed beautifully.  Everyone had a good time.  If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing.  Thank you, Rob, for 20 great years!!! 

Precious Moments Bride & Groom courtesy


  1. Such an amazing write up on your 20th wedding anniversary!! Well, our 10th anniversary is coming in next month and I really want to have a fun family bash and thinking to reserve one of best event San Francisco venues for this bash. I think indoor location would be a great option.