Wednesday 20 November 2013

One Step Closer to my Dream

My dream is to have my picture book "I'm Just a Home Child" published.  I thought I would have to put that dream on hold as I recently got a new teaching job.  However, God is blessing me in two ways this month: first my job, and now a possible book.  A published author, Rose McCormick Brandon, wants to assemble a collection of eight British Home Children stories.  She has asked me to share mine!  The short story, called "The Gold & Pearl Necklace" is based on the life of my great-grandma, Daisy Blay, a British Home Child.  I am so excited!  I want to share my great-grandma's story with as many people as possible.  What a great way to do it!  The author hopes to have the book published in  time to share at a British Home Child Exhibit at Black Creek Pioneer Village (July 2014-January 2015).

Next year is the 100th anniversary of World War I, a war in which 10,000 British Home Children served.  It is also the 100th anniversary of my great-grandma's wedding, only three weeks after the outbreak of the war.  It was at her wedding, that my great-grandma wore the "gold and pearl necklace", a wedding gift from her husband, the same one that I wore on my wedding day 21 years ago.  There couldn't be a more appropriate time to publish my great-grandma's story!

For more information on the British Home Children, visit my post "The British Home Children" at http://alinefromlinda.blogspot.ca/2011/08/british-home-children.html.

For more British Home Children Stories, visit Rose McCormick Brandon's blog "The Promise of Home" at
http://littleimmigrants.wordpress.com/.


Picture

canadianbritishhomechildren.weebly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment