Photo courtesy boardingarea.com.
Here are ten things you may not know about Las Vegas:
1. Gambling was illegal from 1910 to 1931.
2. Howard Hughes stayed at the Desert Inn for two years. Because of his quirky ways, he was finally asked to leave. He bought the hotel so he could stay.
3. The city has at least 500,000 inhabitants.
4. Elvis performed 837 consecutive sold out performances there.
5. The Flamingo Hotel was named after gangster Bugsy Siegel's girlfriend's long legs.
6. An acre of land on the Las Vegas strip sells for 30 million dollars.
7. Three hundred and fifteen weddings per day are performed at Vegas chapels.
8. Its casinos have 200,000 slot machines.
9. The original leader of the Rat Pack was Humphrey Bogart. Supposedly his wife commented like he and his friends looked like a Rat Pack when they came home from Vegas one night. Bogart passed away in 1957 and the new Rat Pack of the 1960's comprised.Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., Joey Bishop and Peter Lawford).
10. Las Vegas served as a stopover for pioneers in the early 1900's as well as a railroad town.
Photo courtesy life.time.com.