1. The Christmas flower is native to Mexico.
2. Joel Poinsett, a botanist, introduced the plant to the United States in 1825.
3. In Peru, the poinsettia is known as the "Crown of the Andes".
4. It is called the lobster flower or flame leaf flower.
5. The poinsettia is not poisonous.
6. In nature, the Christmas shrub can grow up to 10 feet tall.
7. California is the top poinsettia producing state.
8. Over 85% of flower sales are poinsettias.
9. There are over 100 varieties of poinsettias.
10. The cost of a poinsettia is determined by the number of blooms. Over $300 million are generated through poinsettia sales at Christmas time.
Photo courtesy 4.bp.blogspot.com.