Wednesday 24 August 2011

Life is Like a Puzzle

Rob's Oma used to love putting together puzzles.  She would tackle 1000-piece puzzles all by herself.  Bit by bit she would work away at the puzzle.  If she had trouble finding a piece, she would focus on another area of the puzzle.  If she really got stuck, she would take a break from the puzzle.  She was like the tortoise:  "Sure but steady wins the race."  She always finished her puzzles. 

This summer I am putting together a puzzle of Neuschwanstein.  Yesterday, I spent several minutes trying to find one particular piece.  Then I remembered Oma's strategy:  I chose a different piece and within 5 minutes, I had 12 pieces.  Sure enough, the 13th piece was the one that I had been obsessing about earlier. 

It seems like life is like a puzzle (although Forrest Gump might argue with me).  If we obsess about what we want, we often don't get it.  However, if we focus on what we already have, God gives us even more blessings.  For instance, when I was looking for a husband, I couldn't find one.  Then I moved to Windsor to attend Teacher's College and was so happy to be there, that I forgot all about my plan.  Within five months, I had a fiance.  The following year, I had a husband.  Similarly, when Rob and I were trying to have a baby, I obsessed about it for years.  Then, when I least expected it, we adopted Thomas.  When Thomas turned four years old, I found out that I was expecting Jacqueline.  We got not one but two healthy children.  So, count your blessings!

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." (Matthew 6:33)




Cartoon courtesy www.cartoonstock.com



No comments:

Post a Comment