1. Mother's Day is the third most popular holiday next to Christmas and Easter.
2. Hallmark offers 1350 different options for Mother's Day cards.
3. Restaurants' busiest day of the year is Mother's Day.
4. More phone calls are made on Mother's Day than any other holiday.
5. The median age for motherhood is 24.8 years of age.
6. The most popular month to give birth is September while the most popular day is Tuesday.
7. There are 4.2 babies born every second.
8. Julia Ward Howe, who wrote the Battle Hymn of the Republic, made a protest for peace in Boston, remembering the Franco Prussian war where many women were left husbandless and childless. She suggested a day set aside for mothers.
9. Anna Jarvis lobbied the American Congress for such a day and succeeded in the early 1900's. Anna's mother's favourite flower was the carnation which has become the most popular flower to give on Mother's Day.
10. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, Mrs. Feodor Vassilyev, a peasant from Russia, is credited with the most births. She had 27 pregnancies, all of which were twins, triplets or quadruplets, resulting in a total of 69 children.