1. 79 -- number of miles of wire fencing, later replaced by concrete
2. 300 -- number of watchtowers
3. 250 -- number of guard dog runs
4. 192 -- number of streets that were closed off to build the wall; many evictions resulted from this decision
A family divided by the Berlin Wall courtesy www.spiegel.de.
5. 30 -- number of miles of barbed wire laid down the first night of the wall's construction
6. 2.7 million -- number of people leaving East Berlin before construction of wall (1949-1961)
Berlin circa 1950's courtesy andberlin.com
7. 1000s -- number of East Berliners who lost their jobs in West Berlin as a result of the wall's erection
Image courtesy www.spiegel.de.
8. 3 -- number of checkpoints at the wall (named Alpha, Bravo & Charlie in English; or Helmstedt, Dreilinden & Friedrichstrasse in German)
Checkpoint Charlie courtesy 4.bp.blogspot.com.
9. 5000 -- number of successful escapees
10. 600+ -- number of deaths of failed escapees
The Berlin Wall officially opened on November 9, 1989 and was torn down by 1990. For more information, read my post "This Wall Will Fall" (November 9, 2011).
Germans standing on the wall days before it was torn down courtesy upload.wikimedia.org.