Here are some new trends in picture books for 2013:
1. Universal and timeless themes sell.
2. Picture books are getting shorter since parents and/or children are getting busier and busier.
3. Quirky, sophisticated artwork is in demand.
4. Folktales and fairy tales are predicted to make a comeback.
5. With the implementation of the Common Core Standards in the United States, there will be a resurgence of picture books for school age children. The following genres will be in demand: non-fiction, narrative non-fiction, fiction with a non-fiction link and fiction with non-fiction back matter (biography, glossary).
According to Scholastic, here are some timely topics in picture books:
2. Science Fiction
3. Intriguing Non-Fiction
5. Kid Lit on the Screen
7. Tough Girls
8. Survival Stories
10. Nature Runs Amok
Post a Comment