Thursday 16 June 2011

The Christian Writers' Conference

Today I attended the Christian Writers' Conference called Write Canada 2011. What a great experience! Everyone was warm and friendly. The volunteer workers were so efficient and well-organized. The speakers were well-prepared, well-spoken and informative. The food was delicious! The weather was beautiful (although the organizers can't take credit for that one).

The speakers managed to cover a lot of material in a relatively short amount of time. Not once did I find my mind wandering. Some speakers brought handouts; others had power point presentations; still others brought nothing with them but had such a stage presence and such a sense of humour that they held our attention easily.

The theme of the conference was "Changing the world with words". One speaker, Tim Huff, suggested that as writers we might start first by changing our own world and then bit by bit we'll change the world of those around us.

It was inspirational to meet other writers, especially several who have already published books. They serve as mentors to those of us who have not yet published. It is nice to hear of other people's success stories. I tried to picture myself standing at the front of the room with a copy of my published book in my hand at next year's conference. Until then, I will hang on to other authors' success stories.

Congratulations, Write Canada 2011!



Picture courtesy http://3.bp.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment