Saturday 26 January 2013

Cooking with my Slow Cooker




My mother-in-law and father-in-law gave me money for Christmas.  I wanted to buy something big with my money but at the same time practical.  So I went shopping at Walmart and picked out a 6-quart slow cooker.  My daughter Jacqueline went online immediately and downloaded a recipe for me from Canadian Living for "Hearty Beef Stew".  I bought all of the ingredients at the store, including sweet potatoes, and set to work.  Eight hours later, I had my stew.  It was delicious!  The following week I made Chicken Stew.  This time however, I substituted the broth for water and although it was good, it didn't measure up to the beef stew.  The third week I shopped at Zehrs and purchased pork tenderloin from the butcher.  I dumped it in the slow cooker with a can of rootbeer and turned the machine on high.  Four hours later, I added a bottle of barbecue sauce and voila!  The pork separated easily with a fork.  It was mouthwatering!  The fourth week I made the beef stew again since it was such a success the first week.  Now I am looking forward to more recipes in the slowcooker.  What a great Christmas present!

No comments:

Post a Comment