Tuesday 28 April 2015

Ten Tips to Creating a Worthwhile Website for Your Book

"Writing is only 10%; marketing is the other 90%." (Mark Victor Hansen, Chicken Soup for the Soul)

You are about to publish your book.  Now is the time to build a website to advertise it.  Why do you need a website?  It's an inexpensive way to promote your book, get book signings and speaking engagements.  It provides you with a venue to sell your book online and to build a loyal fan base.   Your website may attract agents or publishers for future books.  It's a way to promote yourself and any other endeavours you undertake; for example, coaching or consulting (http://www.slideshare.net/paulahill/websitesforauthorssample).

Every book website should include the following ten elements;

1.  A Book Blog

According to blogger Tony Levelle, your book blog should include writer updates, corrections and errata and a place to respond to reader comments and questions.

2.  Sample Chapters

Choose two or three of your best chapters and post them on your website.  You might also want to post a Table of Contents to give the reader a hint of what is to come.

3.  Amazon Page

Provide a link to the Amazon Page (or other site) selling your book.  Amazon often allows visitors to click on the book image and browse through portions of the book.

4.  Media Kit

Your media kit should include:

  • professional business cards with your book cover on one side and Your contact information on the reverse
  • a head shot taken by a professional or at least experienced amateur
  • a 100-150 word bio stating why you are uniquely qualified to write this book
  • a glossy paper with your book cover on the front and a description of the book on the back (why should the reader want to read your story?)

5.  Book Reviews & Blurbs

Make it a goal to get at least 20 Amazon reviews.

6.  A Schedule of Appearances

Make a list of bookstores, libraries, conferences and speaking engagements you plan on attending.

7.  Contact Information

8.  Bonus Goodies

For the first month (or more), offer special reports, spreadsheet templates or audio recording of your book.

9.  Social Sharing Buttons

Enable the reader to connect to Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn and Google+.

10.  Link to Articles 

If you have written non-fiction or historical fiction, link to historical articles which pertain to your topic.  


No comments:

Post a Comment