Sunday 11 May 2014

A Flower on Mother's Day

I used to dread Mother's Day.  I would sit in church and wait for the flowers to be handed out at the end of the service to all the mothers.  Someone would offer me one, which I would take, but under false pretense.  I didn't want to go into a lengthy explanation.

Sunday after Sunday I would sit in that same church, praying that one day it would be my baby up at the baptismal font being sprinkled with water.  But week after week, month after month, year after year, that didn't happen.

It was on Mother's Day in 1999 that I finally got my wish.  I sat in the pew at church.  I accepted the flower. And I held my precious baby boy.  That same year, my sister Lisa became a mother as well.  She, too, was blessed with a precious baby boy.  Our mom ordered us a special cake, a white cake with colourful icing. with a beautiful message:  "HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, LISA & LINDA!"

From that year on, Mother's Day was different.  I looked forward to it.  I embraced it.  I treasured it. Happy Mother's Day to all of those women who accepted the flower today, who long for a baby, but whose arms are empty. May God bless you with a bundle of joy!

P.S.  Happy Mother's Day to the mom who gave us our little boy, Nicole!  THANK YOU!



No comments:

Post a Comment