1. Polar bears and penguins do not live together. The former live in the Arctic while the latter live in the Antarctic.
2. Polar bears are the largest land dwelling carnivore and can reach 10 feet tall on their hind legs.
3. Males may weigh up to 1200 pounds while females only weigh up to 650 pounds.
4. Polar bears are so well insulated they are almost invisible when photographed against the white snow.
5. While a polar bear's fur is white, the skin underneath is black.
6. Males have long hair on their forelegs to attract females.
7. Polar bears travel far and wide covering an area anywhere from 20 to 100,000 square miles. One bear was tracked from Alaska to Greenland to Canada and back to Alaska.
8. Polar bears have a strong sense of smell, detecting seals over half a mile away.
9. Polar bears like "junk food" including styrofoam, plastic, car batteries and motor oil. Churchill, Manitoba residents started carting their garbage out of town to get rid of the furry invaders.
10. Polar bears are hunted by the Inuit. They eat most of the animal but not the liver which is so Vitamin A rich it could make humans sick.
Photo courtesy bbcimg.co.uk.