FLUFFLY BUTTERMILK PANCAKES
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups buttermilk (well-shaken)
2 large eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1. Mix dry ingredients in medium bowl.
2. Add wet ingredients to separate bowl; stir until blended.
3. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients until combined. do not overmix; batter will be slightly lumpy.
4. Lightly coat skillet with oil. Heat to medium-low.
5. Drop 1/4 cup batter onto skillet.
6. Cook on first side until bubbles form on surface and underside is golden (2 minutes).
7. Flip over and cook another 2 minutes. Centre should spring back when lightly touched.
8. Serve warm with maple syrup and butter. Makes 10 to 12 pancakes.
Note: This year I made my batter the night before. I made it a bit thicker than usual. I poured it into a container with a lid with a small hole. It was much easier to pour the batter out rather than spoon it out the next day. I also used a griddle, rather than a skillet, which I preheated. For years, I would try making pancakes and they would be so soft they would fall apart, or they would burn on one side. I could never get the right consistency. And I could never get the right shape, either, like in the picture. For once they turned out this year: circular, fluffy and golden brown. And they didn't stick to the griddle. Yeah!
Image courtesy realmomkitchen.com.