"[Its cruciform lobby was] one of the most spectacular of the early 20th Century in New York City."
New York City, 1926. Two men dressed in overalls and caps, hanging casually over the side of the Woolworth Building, painted its exterior, while an onlooker stood on top of a nearby spire.
The Woolworth Building, at 792 feet high, was one of New York City's first skyscrapers. Located at 233 Broadway Street, the building cost 13.5 million to build. Cass Gilbert's design included 60 stories and 5000 windows. The cruciform lobby included mosaics, stained glass and bronze. President Woodrow Wilson turned on the building's lights from his office in Washington D.C. on April 24, 1913. Not until the Chrysler Building was erected in 1930 did any structure stand taller than the Woolworth Building. In 1966, it was declared a National Historic Monument. On 9/11, the skyscraper suffered some structural damage, but remained intact. Today, the building is home to New York University, among other tenants.