1. History tells us about where we came from; it gives us roots.
2. It puts us in contact with exploreres, inventors and pinoeers of the past. We find out who gave us our alphabet, our numbers system, our system of government, etc.
3. World history is like a tapestry of human thought and behaviour; it gives us insight into human nature.
4. History repeats itself. As Henry Ford used to say: "Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it."
5. Studying history makes us grateful for modern blessings.
6. History gives us a moral example (as well as immoral).
7. History gives us an understanding of historical references in literature, poetry and politics.
8. World history breathes new life into world geography.
9. History showsw us how people viewed themselves. It gives us perspective and objectivity.
10. Studying the past shows us how small our world is and how awesome God's universe is.
Read A Little History of the World by E. H. Gombrich.
Image courtesy http://yalepress.yale.edu.