Prayer is not a "spare wheel"
that you pull out when in trouble.
But it is a "steering wheel"
that directs the right path throughout.
One of my Facebook friends, Maureen, posted this thought recently. Unfortunately, all too often I use prayer as a "spare wheel" rather than a "steering wheel". I used to wonder why people would ask for prayer about little, trivial matters. However, nothing is too big or too small for God. And if you get in the habit of praying each day, you enter into a dialogue with God and you draw closer to Him. I joined a prayer group last year and it is a good first step to turning that "spare wheel" into a "steering wheel" to guide us through life.
Here are some benefits we can enjoy, if only we pray:
1. We can ask what we what in prayer, with the promise God will answer.
2. We can pray as much and as long as we want without boring God.
3. We can have prayer partners/groups and increase the power of prayer.
4. Prayer will remove anxiety (Philippians 4: 6).
5. The Holy Spirit will help us pray when we don't know what to pray for. (Romans 8: 26)
6. Prayer can bring peace in our jobs, in our country and in our homes. (Timothy 2: 1)
7. Prayer brings forgiveness of sin. (1 John 1:9)
8. Prayer connects one with the right people.
9. Prayer is the opportunity to commune with the Creator of the universe.
10. Prayer heals.
* There is only one catch: PRAYER MUST ALWAYS BE ACCOMPANIED BY FAITH.
(James 1: 60)
Photo courtesy http://1.bp.blogspot.com.